Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 1997 16:08:53 -0500
This was probably already posted, but I just saw it, so I will pass it on
again--

There is a very good article by a California vet on ferrets and holistic
health in the December 1996 issue of "Natural Pet" magazine.  Although there
is a lot of info available on holistic medicine for cats and dogs, there is
not very much about ferrets--yet.  I'm sure it would be appreciated if
anyone out there who uses holistic remedies for their ferrets could write
about their experiences to Natural Pet.  Their address is Natural Pet
magazine, P.O. Box 6050, Mission Viejo, CA 92690.  (For subscription info,
call 800-735-9335).  In my opinion, it's a very good magazine, and I think
it's great that their cover article was about ferrets.

To Kelly re: allergy testing --
There is something called 'muscle testing' which can tell you what anyone is
allergic to, including animals.  It is easier if someone shows it to you.
Try to find someone who is interested in holistic health; other people may
say it's nonsense, but it definitely works, is *free* and *very easy*.

Basically, you put one hand on the animal, while you hold one substance
(allergen) at a time next to the animal.  Your other arm is outstretched.
(You should be standing.) A second person tries to push your arm down by
holding their hand on yours.  If a substance is bad for the animal (or the
animal is allergic), your hand and arm will go down quickly.  If it is good
for the animal, your arm will have the strength to withstand the pressure.

It sounds silly, but you can try it yourself with another person doing the
'testing' (not using an animal, just hold something that you know is bad for
you or something you are allergic to).  Anyway, it is easier to have someone
show you rather than explain by e-mail.  Lots of holistic practitioners use
this; I went to a holistic vet (my dog has allergies) and this method
provided some very useful information.  Not only does it tell you what the
animal is allergic to, but also what substances are good for them.

Why does it work?  Who knows, but ultimately, your body knows what is best
for you.  If done properly, it works very well.  I've seen it tried on lots
of skeptics who were quite amazed at the results (you can close your eyes so
you don't know what you are holding and if it's 'good' or 'bad' for you).
And since it doesn't cost anything, you know someone isn't trying to sell
you anything.

Allergies are a real challenge, but if you can figure out what they are, you
can go from there.  Also, it helps if you can build up the immune system of
anyone who has allergies.  Anyway, good luck!

     -- Ronnie
     Ralphie, Harry, Prince Charming and Merlin's mom