From:
Scott Hackett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 1995 04:43:26 -0500

When we got our second ferret, Mojo, we got him from a farm when he was
very young (six weeks).  At the farm, all of the ferrets just went where
they pleased... they made natural community pooping corners, but had no
sandbox to go in.  When we brought him home and tried to get him and the
litter pan acquainted, his butt instantly protested.  It wasn't used to
the sand which would stick to it and it became very inflamed.  Our first
ferret never had this problem because he was older when we got him.  This
problem really concerned us... Mojo was in a lot of pain from it.  Vets
told us that the best we could do was to clean him off and wait it out,
but the problem went on.  The best recommendation we got was from a
fellow ferret owner friend of ours.  As odd as it may sound, after
cleaning sand off your ferret's tushie, rub a little Preparation H on it.
It's the miracle cream for this problem and brought the swelling down
very quickly.  Your ferret must still be watched and cleaned off promptly
after he uses the box, but the cream will put him at a lot of ease
afterwards.  Good Luck!

Scott Hackett