From:
Carla Almaraz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 May 1998 07:43:05 -0700
Melinda,

>Does Lasix have side effects?  What are they?
Flushes potassium from the body and dehydration. I supplement my heart guys
with a pinch of potassium and taurine.

>Can Lasix dehydrate her?  What are the symptoms?
Yup.  Watch for "tenting" when you try to pick up the skin on the back of
the neck.  Pick up her skin a couple of times *now* so that you know what a
normal hydration level is.  Ferrets tend to get less elastic skin on their
backs as they age so Stinka may be different than a younger ferret.

>What dosage of Lasix is average?  What is too much?
It's a "dose-to-effect" drug.  You usually start out lower and work up as
necessary.  It is, believe it or not, a very safe drug.

>Will Lasix damage her kidneys by making her urinate more?
Make sure she always has plenty of fresh, clean water.  I provide a bowl and
a bottle.  It's hard work to get water out of a bottle.  If she's tired (and
if the heart isn't working properly, this may happen often), she may not
want to go to the extra effort.  Give her a bowl and change the water twice
daily.

>Will she dislike the taste?  If so can I mix it with something?
Every ferret is different, but I mix it with a little Pet-tinic.  Most
ferrets love that mixture - especially when it is mixed with Co-q10.  I
don't use oil (Linatone) for this mixture since I don't care for the high
Vitamin A level.

Additional musings: I'm basing the following on the heart medicines I'm
familiar with but be sure to check the label!

You will probably be given a bottle with a couple of ounces in it.  The
expiration date is 60 days after the bottle is opened.  Splitting the bottle
with someone else is cost effective since you won't use anywhere near an
entire bottle in 60 days.  Ask your vet if he recommends using the bottle
after that date.  The medicine doesn't go bad but does get weaker after
that time.  One thing I always do is to put about 1/2 ounce in a separate
container and use that for the daily dose.  Otherwise the entire container
will get "floaties" in it, I'm guessing from impurities.  Also, be sure the
bottle is kept at room temperature and in the dark.  Don't refrigerate if
it says to keep at room temperature!

Good luck with Stinka.

    -Carla (*not* a vet)