From:
Claire Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 May 2004 17:49:50 -0400
On May 9, 2004, at 3:31 AM, Steve (anonymous poster) wrote:

> ...due to space constraints, I find that my computer desk only fits in
>my living room.   ...
>Any suggestions would be appreciated, as rocky at this very moment is
>sniffing around my feet.

I don't find that the kids chew on the cords, per se, unless a cord has a
soft rubber part (some do).  But they will delight in crawling through
the cord tangle and sometimes disconnect the cords.

So I got a 'home office' cabinet that holds the computer.  This has the
added benefit of being able to be closed, so that the computer mess and
the huge eye of the monitor don't have to be so obvious.  The key thing
is to find a cabinet that will allow the bottom of the cabinet, where
the computer is, to be closed even when the computer is in use.  Many
computer cabinets, if they have top and bottom doors, put the keyboard
drawer behind the lower door.  This means that the lower doors have to
be open when the computer is in use.  At the time, I couldn't find any
which didn't do this, so I bought a cabinet with full doors, and cut them
in half _below_ the slide out keyboard drawer.  I only need to open the
bottom doors when I need to plug something in.  And as far as the kids
are concerned, the cabinet is always closed, so they pretty much ignore
it.  (Though if I do open it when the kids are around, I immediately
have five little helpers).

Since then, I have seen several home office cabinets which put the
keyboard drawer behind the top doors, so I guess I'm not the only one
who thought the other way sort of defeated the purpose.

--Claire
(Sam, Frankie, Missy; Louie, Lilo)