From:
Caterina Venturelli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 18:07:59 -0400
I have always wondered if it could be possible to protect ferrets with the
same flu shot used for humans.  The influenza vaccines are inactivated
vaccines.  They are developed from either "split" viruses or vaccinating
subunits containing major antigenic proteins, hemagglutinin and
neuraminidase.  I know the vaccine from Aventis Pasteur, which contain type
B and the two sub-types of virus A in circulation (this vaccine does not
contain the entire virus, just some antigenic proteins).  The fact that the
virus is constantly mutating means that a new vaccine must be produced
every year.  I am aware that different species have different response to a
particular epitope, but generally is possible to observe an immune response
against an antigen.  Ferrets are sensible to the same virus than humans, so
I don't see, why the vaccine could not work fine in ferrets too, at least
if it does not work, it won't be harmful.  Of course there could be changes
in dosage, and immunization protocol, but I would like to kn ow if somebody
knows if there is some work done in ferrets in this field.

Kisses to every fuzzy ferret and prayers for those that are in Heaven,
Cathie and Gigio