From:
Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1993 01:23:38 -0400
--- forwarded from GEnie ---
From: DEFFBAM.MINN [R.S.Sellers]     Sun Aug 01, 1993 at 02:04 EDT

Please forward the following corrections to the FML...
 1.  The data which is being quoted by state agencies, etc. is not coming from
the CDC but rather from the NASPHV (National Assn. of State Public Health
Veterinarians) and the CSTE (Council of State & Territorial Epidemiologists)
and is being published by CDC in the Compendium of Animal Rabies Control.
Neither of these orgainzations (or CDC as a matter of fact) are regulatory
agencies, nor does the information or advice they give carry the weight of law
(unless your state or municipality has a law which requires following these
guidelines).  Both the CDC and NASPHV will tell you that the Compendium is
nothing more than a consensus of opinion of those knowledgable in the field of
rabies control on how to handle potential risks.  NOT A SCIENTIFIC DOCUMENT.

 2.  The only reported ferret-related human death was in Hillsboro, Oregon,
not Carson City.

[My apologies.  I misread 039.  The Carson City child wasn't killed.  There
is still the second death in England.  Unfortunately, the copy I got of 039
is missing the original references.  The english one was probably
a polecat anyways.]

 3.  There have been only _15_ confirmed cases of rabies in the Domestic
Ferret not 50.  Of these cases one or two were caused by the improper
administration of a live virus vaccine and two were listed as possible
misdiagnosis because the animals were tested for antibody levels only and were
tested within 21 days of being vaccinated against rabies.  So, of course there
would be an elevated antibody count.

--- end GEnie forward ---