Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 2006 15:16:26 -0500
This message is off topic, and I apologize for that.  But, there is
something important happening that could affect AOL and Yahoo users
and the lists they subscribe to.

AOL and Yahoo are proposing to charge a fee for mass mailings, saying it
will cut down on spam.  Companies willing to pay the fee will be assured
that their mass mailings reach the people they are sending to, without
having to go through any kind of spam filtering process.

But, what it will really do is make it harder for lists we want to
receive, like the FML, FHL, and Yahoo Groups lists from ever reaching out
inboxes, and will allow spammers willing to pay the fee a chance to get
their messages through to us.  When traffic is heavy, many AOL users are
already having problems receiving the FML.  This will make it even worse.

Here are some links to articles about this.
    http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004398.php#004398
    http://www.clickz.com/experts/em_mkt/opt/print.php/3583446
    http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,1705094,00.html

I suggest that AOL and Yahoo users read these articles, and any others
they can find, and then decide for themselves whether or not this is a
good thing.  Then, for those who do not like this, I suggest contacting
AOL and Yahoo, and letting them know.
--
Danee DeVore
International Ferret Congress Health Issues Coordinator

[Moderator's note: There has been a LOT of discussion about this in
appropirate newsgroups lately, plus I've dealt with several of the people
involved with this and don't have very many good things to say on either
front.  If it happens, it will help greatly to put the addresses of the
FML into your AOL address book.  (It will help even now.)  We have no
intention of paying, by the way.

Addresses to add to your AOL address book:

Yahoo is much less of an issue, especially if you pay for their premium
e-mail service.

And for those interested, gmail.com (a free e-mail service by Google)
works GREAT for the FML.  Anyone who wants a gmail address, just ask.
You certainly don't have to give up AOL if that's your preferred
service -- gmail addresses would just be another e-mail address you
could use when necessary.  BIG]