From:
Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 19:25:05 -0400
"There will never be a ferret in this house!"

Those were the words my boyfriend's mom (now my mother-in-law) kept saying!
So we went & got a little ferret kit (before they were legal in MI) from an
OH pet store.  The kit could have stayed at my place, but Derek wanted her
at his despite his mom's words.

We walked in the door - "Oh Mother!  Hold out your hands & close your eyes!"
When she did we placed a small 8 week old kit in her hands.  She fell in
love.  We soon got another . . .  and another & ferret math kicked in & we
started breeding them (& still do).

My In-laws adopted the first rescue ferret we got.  Then they knew she
needed a companion so they kept one of our kits.  Then they fell in love
with another kit a year later.  And they said "no more".  And two weeks
after that was said they fell in love again!

So Jennifer - don't give up!  But do remember that having a ferret is like
having a toddler.  (Except for the fact that if you put a toddler in a cage
you may get into some serious trouble).  Would you be able to care for it
long term?  Who would pay for any surgeries it may need or any emergencies?
Remember also that kits are fun, but older ferrets are just as fun, already
nip trained (most likely), & make wonderful first ferrets!  Check out a
local ferret shelter before you hit a pet store.

Amy Flemming
Flemming Farms
http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ranch/9521