Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 22:22:44 EDT
I wondered how one man could do so much, as I left the little shop.  No
glory for this one.  He spent much time while attending his duties praising
the few others that have also been God sends to the hundreds and hundreds
of ferrets given up by others.

90 some ferrets to care for.  But where is the money, honey?  The monies
needed for the food and litter and bedding and rent and medications and
toys, cleaning supplies, repairs.  They are in sore need of new cages.
These are maybe 30 years old.  The vet bill has grown substantially, and
this man has asked for the second time he can recall for financial help
in the newsletter.

I wanted to take a number of them home with me.  Ferrets abandoned and
found in garages and back yards.  Ferrets purchased by children without
adult permission.  Ferrets who have been in that small shop since 1999.

His name is Norm Stillson.  He and his wife Mary have been the saving grace
of G.C.F.A for years now.  But with the other Chicago shelter closed--there
is now a waiting list of ferrets to be given up.

The shop is clean and bright.  The ferrets are all given play time in a
large kind of ferret playpen that gives room for romping and leaping.  But
a shadow hangs over the hearts of those few people who must do it all.

Do you have access to something that could be sold at a raffle?  GCFA has
events to raise money and is in need of raffle items.  They do not have to
be for ferrets.

In order to adhere to the no kill policy, GCFA needs every persons help
to retire the huge vet bill at Midwest Bird and Animal Hospital.  If the
hospital says-no more help until this much of the bill is paid, and a
ferret is suffering badly-GCFA is going to be in a situation it dreads.

Will you help?  ANY donation small or large will aid GCFA in continuing
to try.

The vet address is
Midwest Bird and Exotic Animal Hospital
1923 S. Manheim Rd.
Westchester, IL. 60154

If this shelter has to become a kill shelter because it HAS to
$$$Because of the lack of donations$$$ --there had better not be any
negative talk about it.  Come to this small store that holds over 90
ferrets and see what is happening.  Write to GCFA.com and ask what you
can give or tell them how you might help.  Or call 1-708-442-8650.

Want your beloved ferret who has passed to always be remembered by others?
For only $60-you can purchase a new large cage for GCFA that will have a
plaque on it with your beloveds name on it.  Anyone looking at ferrets to
adopt over the next 30 years will see the dedicated brass plaque with the
name of your baby.  Write to GCFA.com and let them know now!

The Greatest Ferret Show on Earth is Oct. 6th at Dupage County Fairgrounds.
Take a long weekend and come.  Support one of the largest shelters on this
list.  I began buying presents for the occasion after the last show, before
I took in Mini-Me and Maria and acquired a sizable vet bill of my own.  And
Norm hs some surprises up his sleeve.  SOOO -There will be some very cool
ferret stuff to purchase.  So don't come late!  Bring friends and family
and pocket book, and a lot of ferret love in your hearts.

Some of you will proclaim-I have no money to spend at the show.  If that is
true-then come to the show, and meet the people that may well be caring for
YOUR ferret if you are in an accident, or have a heart attack, or lose your
home in a divorce, etc.  Buy a hotdog from Norm.

I know by e-mail hundreds of you now.  Savers of life, unselfish, gentle
spirits, huge hearts.  Picture YOU with maybe 5 people to help you a day
here or there caring for 90 ferrets day in and out.  That is how dedicated
and diligent I have come to find the very few care givers at GCFA.

Thank you for the time spent reading this.  I know there are many shelters
in need.  I have several in the area I helped out for years.  I will
again, when I am caught up again financially.  I thank all of you shelter
operators out there for your tireless and devoted efforts, and for being
there when a deserted little one passes.  Thank you for making your life a
daily sacrifice to better the lives of the helpless innocents we so love.

Lisette