From:
Carolina Arismendi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 19:13:07 EST
Hi

I was wondering if anyone could offer any advise on what to do for a
ferret with a fever.  My ferret Everest had his distemper vaccine
yesterday and woke up this morning very sleepy and uninterested in playing
(very unusual) and then when I picked him up he was burning up.  We spend
all morning at the vets she took his temperature which was 105 and
administered a fluid and Vitamin B complex injection and his fever has
slowly been going down.  He's still been very sleepy throughout the day
and I've been making sure that he's drinking water and even spoiling him a
little extra by giving him ferret soup.  Does any one have any suggestions
on anything else I can be doing for him.  My vets says that he should be
back within 48 hours.

Totally unrelated question that I've been meaning to ask for ages now.
Everest for over a year and a half has had a watery left eye, sometimes
it's more noticeable than others.  When it's really noticeable it looks
like his eye is full of tears and he's about to cry.  My vet has checked
him out and sees nothing wrong with him, she's told me that some of her
patients have this and it's perfectly normal.  She says I should only be
concerned if it bothers him or if it were to get irritated/swollen or have
an unusual discharge.  Everest's eye does not bother him in any way, this
is why I'm not to concerned and just really more curious if anyones ferret
out there also experiences this.  Does anyone out there also have watery
eye ferret(s) ?????

I thank you all in advance.

Carolina and ferret Everest