From:
"JEFF JOHNSTON, EPIDEMIOLOGY" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 14:42:47 -0500
It seems as if the story about the researcher who came down with Creutzfeld-
Jacob disease after being exposed to TME (the mink form of the disease) were
exaggerated just a tad.  The researcher in question was not *at* NIH, but an
NIH-funded researcher who has also worked with some of the infectious
disease scientists at NIH.  He had also been working with scrapie (the sheep
version of the disease) since the mid-to-late 60s, and has been a major
researcher on the mink disease since it was first reported more than a
decade ago.  If this guy does have CJD (which I'm double checking) it's
because he's had nearly unprecedented opportunity for exposure to the
infectious agent.

Is it still possible for ferrets or other pets to become ill from
contaminated food?  I'd still give that a highly qualified "Yes," but the
risk is still extremely small, probably smaller than the risk of your house
being struck by lightning.  The infectious agent is probably in red meat in
North America, with the greatest risk from brain matter, particularly from
sheep or cattle.  Chicken- or fish-based food should be at the lowest risk
for being contaminated with the infectious agent.  CJD-like symptoms
essentially mimic those of Alzheimer's disease but progress more rapidly
than Alzheimer's.  At necropsy, the brain is riddled with tiny holes making
it resemble a sponge.  I'll report anything else relevant I come across.