From:
Debbie Utter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 15:03:38 -0400
We just adopted our second ferret.  He's about two years old.  He has a
white throat and chest, white face except around the eyes, and a white blaze
on the back of his head.  His belly is mostly white, the tip of his tail is
white, toes on the front feet are white -- everywhere else he is about the
light color on a sable.  He's a nipper, so we need to work on that.  I have
a few questions.

The ferret came with a large cage.  It's about 2 feet by 3 feet, and about 4
feet tall.  The whole thing folds down for travel, and sits on a wooden base
with casters.  Only problem is, there are no ramps or shelves, except for a
couple of homemade shelves that don't seem to be too stable.  Without any
ramps, the ferrets have to jump up and down from shelf to hammock to shelf.
Doesn't seem to be very "ferret friendly." Any suggestions?

Do ferrets like salt licks, or are they recommended?  I've never heard of
this, but the previous owner had a salt lick tied to the cage.

One more thing: this ferret needs a good deal of socializing.  I'd like to
reinforce good behavior with treats, but he doesn't seem to like anything
except fresh bananas.  I've tried raisins, craisins, peanut butter, and
banana chips and he turned his nose up at them.  He does like Linatone.
Any other ideas for treats?