From:
Paula Federici <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 12:04:15 -0700
Because I love ferrets and work in a pediatric clinic, I always keep
picture of my "kids" on the walls for all the "kids" to see and possibly
educate people about the wonders of ferrets and hopefully do away with
some of the misconceptions about these wonderful creatures.

My office has cares for several children with extremely serious illnesses.
One of our very special patients is a little girl with what is commonly
called brittle bone syndrome.  "Candy" is the size of a 3 y/o although she
is 8 years and has a true "munchkin" type of voice.  As Candy was in my
office for an explaination about a new procedure she would be undergoing,
she saw a picture of one of my boys named Huggie.  Huggie is a fuzzy fat
boy with the grumpiest face known to man.  Candy kept telling me "I love
Huggie" over and over again during the explaination.  At the end of the
interview I asked Candy if she would like Huggie to come and visit while
she was getting her medication and got a prompt yes.  After arranging with
the pediatrician in charge of Candy and Candy's mother, I told Candy I
would bring one of the ferrets in to see her.

To try and make a long story short, one of my sweetest girls,Snowflake,
came to the clinic for the three days of treatment for Candy.  During the
visits Snowflake&I would sing and Snowflake would dance for Candy.  Candy
was so happy she got to pet and hold a ferret and now wants me to bring
another one in for the next go round of meds.  What could have been a very
painful long drawn out procedure turned in to a party for this little girl.
We were also joined by an Umbrella Cockatiel on the third day as well as
all the employees children.

Never underestimate the power of a ferret to cheer up anyone.

Paula and the Fuzzy Mafia.