From:
Cynthia Ritenour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 2010 15:44:37 +0000
About five years ago, I went into a pet store here in the mall. Seemed
they had a contract with Kaytee, as most of the pet food that they fed
their animals, including ferrets, was Kaytee, and 90% of what they sold
was Kaytee. (This is when Kaytee was putting actual dried veggies into
their ferret food). In one of their cages was the tiniest white ferrets
that I have ever seen, trying desperately to chew this kibble. I talked
to the store people, then, when no one would help about her food, I
bought her to take her home, thus saving her. (She was my lovely Noel,
and fit in a teacup when I first brought her home.)

My receipt had the store phone # on it and through some tenacity, I was
able to finally contact the store owner. The store owner said he read
nothing to say Kaytee could cause blockage, and wat he was feeding was
safe, and I needed to prove it to him before he'd change. I also found
out the source of ferrets for his store is Path Valley. Now, I had one
path valley ferret, Bubbles, so I know that Path Valley gives the
stores enough of it's path vally food to keep the kits fed 'till 6 mos,
when they deliver the kits to the store.

I went onto the web, and searched around until I found a direct phone #
to Path Valley. I called them with all details of the store, and what
was going on. They were enraged that their babies were being fed this
food, since the dried fruit & veggies were a sure way to blockage. I
left things in their hands, well, almost.......

I kept going back to that pet store. I noticed that they didn't have
ferrets for about a month, but then, they started getting them in
again. I found that if I went int the store early, I could find out
what they were feeding the kits. (they weren't great about leaving
plenty of food either so the kits could free feed all day.) I caused a
stink if I saw something I didn't like. Thankfully, that store, after 3
years of me watching out for the kids, went out of business. I know I
made a difference in Noels life, but I'm sure I helped a lot of other
kits that came through there also, by keeping the owner on the strait
and narrow.

You don't have to buy the ferrets to save them, but cause a stink with
the manager, and if all else fails, call Marshalls, or Path Valley,
they will get things straitened out, believe me, they don't want to
have to take back sick or worse, dead ferrets. A lot of times, things
can be fixed by just educating and talking to staff. Face it, not
everyone knows how to take care of these little guys, and those of us
who do, will always be in a state of learning. It's the nature of the
beast, or fert, I should say......

When they say, "It's the little things that count.", be assured, a
phone call, email or talking to someone can make the world of
difference. If we all make small changes, help someone, or some
critter, we have made the world a greater place. Think what could
happen to the world if every person did one small thing a
day.....globally, the change could be astronomical.....

Do good stuff,
Cindy & the Lucky 7 (again)