From:
Nancy Busso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 2009 18:39:04 EDT
The first blind ferret I got was Lacey (formerly Lucy) from the OR
Ferret Shelter. The first day here she spent a long time going around
the rooms hugging close to the wall. The next day she took off running.
Nothing stopped her except a misplaced backpack tossed on the floor by
one of my kids or a cat who didn't appreciate getting bumped into. Up
until her death she was the boss of her group of 6 and nobody messed
with her! Most people couldn't believe she was blind.

Oliver came to us last summer from the shelter. He is blind and deaf.
He had a cordoma removed from his tail and has liver cancer. His
companion Lola is crippled. They joined a larger group that my dear
Penny was in. Oliver is a huge guy that from the beginning never walked
or ran....he BOUNCED. He is without a doubt the happiest ferret I have
ever known. Everything excites him! He has a shoe fetish and nobody's
shoes are safe around him. He takes most of them and stores them in
the downstairs bathroom cabinet that is filled with blankies and toys.
Sometimes he stashes them where we can't find them for days. He also
LOVES dirt. I had him outside today and BOUNCED across the lawn until
he came to some mole holes and then dug in them. Just as you would
with a blind and deaf child, I try to give him lots of things to smell
(perhaps this is why he likes shoes...). He had been in several homes
before I got him but I can't even imagine ever giving him up. He's
determined to live life to the fullest!!

Recently my Brewster has been going blind. At first it bothered him
a great deal and he stopped running around with his group and didn't
play. He would just find a warm spot and curl up while the world
whizzed past him. We gave him tons of love but he took his time in
adjusting. Now with new found confidence he again races through the
house. I think he got tired of everyone else having a good time except
him.

Neither of the 2 ferrets that came here blind ever went upstairs, too
scary I guess. Brewster has always gone upstairs and now that he is
going blind it will be interesting to see if he will continue to go
upstairs.

Nancy on the OR coast enjoying pussywillow and daffodil time