From:
Rbossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 17:19:08 EDT
If a ferret bites when it wants to get down, or when it doesn't want to get
up, chances are it was taught that.  This is one of the most common causes
of biting that we see in the shelter.

A ferret normally wants to explore and if you happen to want to hold it at
the same time, you have a conflict.  If it happens to nip you a little hard
during the conflict, and you set it down, then you have told it, "Nip me and
that's how you ask to get down."  Repeat this a few times (ferrets are no
dummies when it comes to the art of communication) and it thinks it has a
new way of communication.  If you continue to hold it, it may "communicate"
a little harder the next time, until you "hear" it.

The approach which seems to work best, it to show it that that form of
communication is not going to work.  If you get bit, discipline (usually
the scruff works well, or wrapping our hand around the head and jaw, either
while telling it that that will not be tolerated, etc.) then continue to
hold him.  Don't under any circumstances put him down after a bite.  Then
after he settles down and gives the big "sigh" of resignation, reward him
with a drop of Ferretone and set him gently down.  Repeat often until he
gets the message.

Dick B.