From:
RODNEY DUNAWAY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 01:32:44 EST
My ferret started yelling in his sleep about 9 months ago.  My elderly dog
used to cry in his sleep and we later found out he was in pain, so I took my
ferret to the vet right away.  Two vets thought that nothing was wrong with
him.  Of course, they could never hear the noise since he only did it
occasionally in his sleep.

Now, however, he screams almost every night and during naps.  It is loud
enough to wake me from a deep sleep, but he is definitely asleep while it is
happening; I end up waking him up when I go to see what's wrong.

He seems healthy in all other respects, I guess.  His coat is healthy and
his eyes are bright.  He's a little lean, but he was undernourished by his
former owner and it's been hard to get him to put on weight.  He's also a
little lethargic compared to most ferrets (he sleeps almost all day & only
plays for about 15 min.  at a time before he has to nap again), but he is
much more active than when I got him 2 years ago.

Have any of you ever had a ferret that screams in his/her sleep?  Is it
possible that he's just having nightmares?  If so, why didn't he make this
noise at all the first year that I owned him?

I would appreciate any help or advice.  I'm really worried about him.  I
want to cry every time I hear him yell (sometimes I do!), but he doesn't
even seem to notice it.

Thanks in advance...
Shannon & Ferris (can't a guy get some sleep around here?!?)