Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1993 14:06:57 -0400
Georgette,

and bathtime.  Of course anything that will splinter when chewed is a no-no,
but I believe that rawhide just gets soft when chewed--this, however, comes
from my experience with dogs, not ferrets.  I have tried several times to
introduce Beckett to rawhide, but she just hides it under a chair and leaves it
there instead of chewing on it--perhaps a matter of personal taste.  If your
ferret decides that he/she likes rawhide, I'd recommend keeping a close eye on
the condition of the stick for the first little while.  I am not a vet and am
on my first ferret, however, so perhaps someone more knowledgeable will be able
to help you more.

Concerning baths, Beckett doesn't actually mind the water and washing itself,
but the drying part is what really gets her going.  She will do just about
anything to get out of the towel, and if she does she will run and hide,
clucking furiously all the way.  She seems to not like her odour after a bath,
and will sniff and nibble at herself, and jump and roll and tumble around.  I
don't know if this is exactly what is happening to your ferret, but after a
while Beckett usually calms down.  I think that perhaps she's just insulted
that somenoe has had control over her for a while; she's a control freak :-)

I hope that this has helped, and thanks to those who have responded to my own
queries.

Ross.