From:
Joan Clague <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:23:45 -0700
>And BTW, there are also ferret breeders who have bred dogs or who are
>still breeding dogs: Ravensnest Ferrets, TinyPrints, Semper Fi Ferrets
>(certified trainer and behaviorist) and Tawelfan Ferretry to name a few.
>NOW, you can have your facts straight :)

I am not a FML member but would like to respond to the above since
my ferretry has been mentioned.  I'd like to clarify that my Basenji
breeding program ended some time ago.  I successfully bred and showed
Basenjis from 1963-1992, was active both in the national and local breed
clubs durin that time, and tested for all the known genetic diseases,
as well as being involved in researching any thought to have a genetic
origin.  Breeding dogs (and ferrets) is, or should be, a serious concern
and not something done to sell pups or kits to support a shelter.

Of the several ferret breeders I know who are also involved in a shelter,
all keep the two totally separate.  Their main concern in breeding is to
produce top quality, healthy ferrets with good temperaments...none of
them are breeding to support their shelters.  Done properly, there is no
profit in breeding either quality ferrets or dogs...a breeder does well
to break even.  Breeding pet quality dogs or ferrets with no other
purpose than to sell them puts that person in the backyard breeder/puppy
mill category and is not conducive to the betterment of any species.

Joan Clague
Tawelfan Ferretry