Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 1995 17:50:26 -0400
Bill,
Please try to make sure this posts ASAP!  It is urgent that everyone in CA
respond immediately to this.  Thanks,
CDFA1

I have had almost 3 hours (return home travel time) to consider how to break
this news...there is no easy way.  SB 55 was defeated in a committee vote
today by 3-5.  This bill is dead forever....there is a slim and a I do mean
slim chance it will get reconsidered, but at this time, that looks doubtful.

The committee had made up it's mind before we ever walked in the door.  Our
sponsor/author Quentin Kopp had requested a 'low profile' non-publicity
approach this year.  Despite it going against our better judgement, we
accomodated him.  Actively telling people, no publicity, be extremely
couteous when writing etc.  The Fish and Game and Dept. of Health, chose not
to take that approach.  They have been actively lobbying against the bill for
sometime....When the only information you get is negative you vote against.
What more can I say.

What do we do now?

1.  Any lurkers, closet hiding ferret owners or supporters in the State of CA
need to speak up!  If we cannot show numbers....we will not win.  Estimates
are killing us.  You have GOT to come out of that closet and let your feelings
be known.  DO NOT continue to sit back and wait for the results.  Make them
happen.  Your animals are still in danger and will continue to be in danger
as long as you do not fight for their freedom.  I can't put it any plainer
than that.
2.  Immediately write a letter to the editior of your local paper as well as
the Sacramento Bee (so that all the senators will see it) and tell them how
outraged you are over this.  Let them know in words of one syllable that you
are extremely angry.  Don't call names and don't use profanity...no need to
tick them off, but certainly let them know you are not a happy camper right
now.
The address for the Sacramento Bee is:
2100 Q
Sacramento, CA 95814
3.  Actively seek publicity.  Contact your local TV stations and let them
know what is going on.  If you're concerned about your animals...use a
friends home...use a friends phone number..... figure out a way, but DO IT!
Get seen... let them know...this has got to change.  This law violates your 1st
amendment right in the state of CA constitution allowing you freedom of choice,
the companion animal of your choosing.
4.  If you have any statistics (good or bad) regarding infants and biting
incidents....contact me via e-mail and I will give you an address to mail it
to, or send it to me via e-mail.  This is the one they nailed us with the
worst.
5.  Find a way to raise funds for the CDFA....we're broke.  We do not have
the funds to do this again next year.  We have begged, pleaded, and hocked
everything we can, but without the help of each ferret owner out there, we're
dead.  Send us $2.00 for each of your ferrets...that's cheap and if every
owner in CA did that, we could fight and WIN!
I am sorry if I have appeared to be preaching or lecturing to anyone, but I
am MAD!  We cannot do it ourselves.  I have had hundreds of people out of
state volunteer to help in any way possible, and we are very grateful for
their offers but, unfortunately, they can't help us.  Only CA residents can.
So folks, it's time to sit up and be counted.
CDFA1