Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 17:15:29 +0000
While down with my outdoor babies, I noticed that Vader (three year old
sprite) looked 'sleepy'.  Her eyes were half-lidded, and just 'not right'.
Upon closer inspection, I saw that not only were her eyes half-lidded, but
her face is red, particularly her ear and mouth areas.  Her eyes were
slightly 'gunky' (not bad) but once she'd been inside approximately half an
hour the 'gunkiness' has gone.  The redness and half-lidded look remains.

Are there any ideas as to what this may be?  An allergy?  If so, what to?
There seem to be no new plants in the cage, and they've been outside at this
time of year before with no trouble.  Her fur has grown back (Vader has
traditionally shed all the fur from her tail bar some tufts every summer,
now it's autumn, and she has a 'normal' tail again - wierd ferret) A vet
friend of mine was here this afternoon to pick up her kit (Antigone - the
little sable from Slinkys' litter) has now gone to her new home) believes it
looks like an allergic reaction, however, she didn't have time to take a
proper look, nor did she have her equipment on her, so more than a 'it could
be this' couldn't be ascertained.

Vader is eating and drinking well still.  Seems more cuddly than normal, and
wants her 'mama' but other than that seems to be acting 'normal' still.

Any ideas on what this may be, to help my vet, who is graciously going to
come over here tomorrow, or perhaps hints on what could cause this reaction
would be appreciated.  The weather hasn't changed in the past few weeks, so
I doubt it's that.  It isn't heat - it's autumn here - the weather is mild,
very little rain, but still some slight humidity in the air.  Overall
perfect weather here right now.  There has been some suggestion that someone
passing by has given them something to eat that she may have reacted to.  I
don't believe this to be the case - Vader has never shown signs of allergy
to any foods, and honestly there has yet to be any food that I haven't seen
her scarf down - she eats anything.

There are less insects there now than there were.  Earlier this year I had
to remove them from their cage because the ant problem was so bad.  Ants
have now started their yearly migration to heaven knows where and if only
they'd stay migrated, I'd be happy.  There have been no ants in there that
I've seen for almost a month now.

An idea that was suggested is possibly a delayed reaction to the distemer
booster.  They've got a new vaccination this year, and none of them liked
getting it :o( - however, that is doubtful.  It's been over two weeks, and
if it was a reaction to the vaccination, then it wouldn't have waited until
now to come up.

I could come up with theories all night and still not know, I'm no
veterinarian, and in fact nowhere near it.  (Actually quite grateful not to
be one, would just like the knowledge that some of them have to make things
so much easier for my babies!) So, if anyone has any clues as to what may
be the problem, if there is a possibility of this being an allergy, I want
to remove the 'offending item'!

Thanks muchly.

Oh, matter of interest... I've been busy this week, haven't finished
shooting this roll of film yet, and in fact, these guys are getting so big
it's hard to get an in focus pic - they're all just BLURS when you get near
them!!  The little blighters know the sound of my footstep now, and wake up
and rush to the door of the cage.  Imagine trying to open a cage with ten +
ferrets piled against and on it (they climb it too ;o) ) So, this new lot of
photos will be a tad late, but, I'm working on it!!

For those interested in seeing MY Kitten (the name of my little jill kit who
I'm keeping from Babys' litter) can email me for a copy.  I'm still getting
used to this new camera, so it's a little 'fuzzy' (then again so is she).
As a result of the lower quality of the pic, I probably will not post it,
but I wanna show off my darlin' anyhow <g>

Thanks again for all your help.

Sam