Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 21:01:14 EDT
How many Ferrets are to many ferrets to have:

Each situation depends on the individuals love of the animals, whether or
not they have to work outside the house and their financial situation.
The possibilities are infinite.  Some people cannot handle one ferret
others can handle a l00 with help of course.  As Bob Church who has been
to my house says it all depends on how you take care of them and how much
time they get out of their cages.  It also depends on how many can get
along together when they our out together.  I have groups of 10 that
get out for playtime everyday in their playroom.  My smallest group that
has to be let out by themselves is a group of 3 which is my very oldest,
sickest ferrets, which I will not let any other ferrets bother.  I have
5 groups that go out all day long until I go to bed at night.  Then all
ferrets are put back in their cages.  The cats take over the house at
night.  I would love to have ferrets sleep in my bed but I really don't
think the cats would let them.  They claim spots on the bed, often there
are fights during the night because one cat took over the place that
another cat claims.  Oh yes, I have four cats and don't plan to have
anymore.  These 4 cats came to my house without me even wanting to get
more cats after my Patches died a few years back.  I have also had
ferrets dropped on my front porch and no one even rang the door bell to
let me know they were there.  It seems animals just know where they are
going to be treated good.  If you look out the backyard you will see the
birds and squirrels that live there that I feed daily.  Who knows what
animals are in the back yard at night, most the time I am in bed before
the night crew comes out.  Well, there has been a couple oppossums eating
the squirrel food.  In the front yard I put food out for the raccoons,
but have only seen 4 raccoons in my yard in the thirteen years that we
have owned this house.  Oh yes, and then there are the two bears I feed
when I go to Fall City, WA off and on.  Bears love cookies!  So far I
haven't seen any of the cougars that I have heard that are in our
neighborhood.  I also take food when I go downtown to Issaquah to feed
the Beavers that leave in the ponds down there.

As you can see I am an animal lover and have always been that way.  We
use to collect Chipmunks on the ranch we lived on growing up and my
grandfather would build houses for them.  I have had many chipmunks share
my house that I grew up at in Colorado.  I even had tame wild ducks out
at the ranch and they would come and go as they pleased.  Oh yes and then
there was a baby deer that one of our dogs caught that we nursed back to
health.

I grew up being read animal books by Thorton W. Burgess.  If you want to
call me a collector that's fine, I guess I am, I collect old children's
books and Frankhoma pottery.  I have 60 of Thorton Burgess books up in my
bedroom that I have been collecting since my son was born in l976.  Both
of my children that I also adopted grew up reading books by Thorton W.
Burgess.  Of course one of my favorite and my daughters is about Little
Joe Otter.  At one time I didn't like Shadow the weasel because he killed
my two rabbits that lived at the ranch.  We also grew up eating venison
(deer).  That's because sometimes that's all we had, was venison and
vegetables that grew in our two gardens.  Today I would never eat any of
Lightfoot's family or Peter Rabbit's family.

This is all I have to say about collecting.  I just feel if Bob Church,
Jeanie Carley, Vicky McKinney, Sally Huber has been to my house and
approved of how I take care of my many ferrets.  I guess I am not such a
bad person!  Oh, Sandi if you don't believe me I will be happy to send
you pictures taken of Bob Church holding my ferrets and some of Jeanie
Carley when she stayed at my house two times when she came here.  Jeanie
Carley, came here to the Ferret Frolics that we had here in Klahanie
where I live.  All of the Oregon and Spokane ferret people were also
here.  Including the famous Ed. L. and Danielle.  So you see if I was
such a terrible ferret person and collector don't you think someone would
have reported me to Animal Control.  Oh yes, forgot to mention Animal
Control called me today to come and pick up a ferret that has a broken
leg.  Of course by the time you read this, the ferret will be at WFRS and
hopefully a vet will also have seen him/her.

I hate to say it but Sandi I am afraid you have no ideal everything that
goes on with WFRS as I also don't!

Sorry to the ferret folks that are getting rather sick of this.  This
will be my last post on the FML regarding anything that has to do with
Sandi and her Little Rabbit, Rodent, Rat Ferret store.

Oh yes and if Vicky and Sally are reading this please forgive me if I
spelled your last names wrong.

Charleen and the Wa. tails

[Moderator's note: I think you must be referring to a post not appearing
on the FML when mentioning Sandi?  Anyhow, it does answer a question
asked on the FML.  BIG]