From:
Liane Novick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 2000 19:58:41 EDT
Today I held Angus for the last time as he crossed over the bridge.  Angus
was one of our first shelter ferrets, and due to his age (@ 8 yrs) and his
temperament (loved humans, hated other ferrets) never found a home that
would suit him.  That was OK, because he had a big family here at the
shelter.  People who helped out regularly knew Angus.  New comers met
Angus.  Everybody loved Angus.  He was spoiled, has his own run of the
house, loved to be held, and would do anything for a honey nut Cheerio.
His body started to give out on him.  He was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy
around the first of the year, and arthritis made it necessary to change
cages a couple of times to accommodate his elderly bones and joints.  He
would play less and less since any sustained activity would cause him to
go into congestive heart failure and he would need lots of TLC (and
medication) to pull him through.

Many thanks to all of those who loved him and participated in his care.
Thanks to Linda and Diane and Tom who were more than generous with more
than just their time and attention.  Thanks to June and Louis who always
checked on him first.  Thanks to Charleen and Tracy and Sandi and Lorayne
who listened to me sob over the phone during his last hours and offered
the emotional support I needed to get through his passing.

I still cry like a baby when I lose a shelter kid -- but I remember some
sage advice given to me along time ago -- "When you stop crying and feel
nothing, it's time to get out of it [shelter work)"

Look up in the sky tonight, the newest star you will see is none other
than Angus McFerret.

Liane