From:
"Irena Arthur (OPS|schwanke)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 1996 13:21:51 EDT
Hello All,
Just a few reply's.

To Jessica who wants another ferret right away: Don't feel bad about wanting
to get another fuzzy right away... "they" say that the best way to cope with
the loss of one pet is to get another right away.  It won't ease the pain or
make you forget (not that you would want to I'm sure) but it occupys your
time and mind so that you are not dwelling on your loss all day and night!

To Steve regarding discipline: These are the methods of discipline that I
use for my demon child Chelsea.  She is SO bad that we call her Evil at
home.  Just hang in there, they get better with age.  Knock on wood!
Everytime I say she's getting better she goes on another rampage but there
is a bright side...she is the baddest but she is also the funniest because
she is so crazy!

1.  Scruffing: grabbing (not to hard) at the scruff of the neck and giving a
little shake and saying "NO" very sternly.  If they look at you like you
have freaked and yawned then they heard you but they are ignoring you!

2.  Plucking: a light pluck on the nose of butt if she bites works sometimes
but please be advised that you may have to alternate disciplines
periodically when they start to enjoy it!

3.  Showdown at high noon: Always keep a squirt gun in close proximatey if
your youngun stalks family members and or plants!

4.  Solitary confinement: I know this is not a preferred method and I NEVER
put her back in her own cage as punishment but when none of the other stuff
works I put her in lock down in a tri-level cage that we got (but never use)
with Tabitha until she calms down a little (about 5 minutes).  I only use
this in extreme cases when she is really hurting the other girls!

5.  Tickle suicide: When she is bad (but not too bad) I hold her down and
tickle her stomach (right between her little legs on her little belly pouch)
or rub her between my hands and mess her fur all up.  She HATES that and
usually freaks out and tears through the house attacking everything in her
path with jaws agape!

Good luck and remember to ALWAYS tell them "NO (and ferrets name)" when you
are disciplining!

To Doug: Don't worry Doug!  When we got Chelsea she attacked us and Lucy
every chance she got and the same thing happened to poor Tabitha when she
came along she got the same treatment but once they establish who is gonna
be boss (and the outcome may surprise you!) things will calm down and they
will most likely be inseperable!  Lucy is the smallest in our family but she
always gets to be Pocahontas when they play in their ferret cabana and she
is faster and more agile and when she gets tired of the crap wittle Woocy
Kicks ___!

Sorry so long,
        God bless and love to all,
                Irena...Lucy, Chelsea and Tabitha's mom