From:
Andrea the Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 1996 02:16:24 -0500
I've had eleven ferrets over the last four years, nine of whom are still
alive.

Only one was a MArshall Farms ferret, Frito, (male, panda / sable) and we
diagnosed him at about two and half years old by ultrasound.  His adrenal
tumor was on the right side, and he also had cardiomyopathy.  Symptoms were
thinning hair and swollen abdomen (although that could have been from his
heart as well.)

Bean (female, sable), now four, has insulinoma and a right adrenal tumor,
and was given to me by someone who bought her from a NC pet store.  No ear
dots.  Symptoms were swollen vulva, anorexia, slow hair regrowth, and lower
immunity.

Hopi (female, champagne), also four, just started showing symptoms of
adrenal tumors a month ago... tell-tale hair loss starting at the tail and
working upwards, as well as muscle and energy loss.

Rogue, who is now safely home with her mom, Nicole, is an albino two year
old female who is showing bi-lateral hair loss, and had an ultrasound that
indicated a possible adrenal tumor.

Kadi, a chocolate female, died after surgery for insulinoma at the age of
six, and did not show any sign of adrenal trouble.  None of my other ferrets
show symptoms either, including my 6 year old male "dark eyed white"
(Whitman) who has Cardiomyopathy.  My sister's two Marshall Farms sables are
three years old, and show no symptoms.

---  [log in to unmask]  (Andrea M.) [log in to unmask]
         Ferret-children Juno, Ben, Hopi, Bean, and Whitman
        Sweet Dreams to my sweet angel-ferrets Frito and Kadi