From:
Cindy Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 1996 13:02:31 -0500
Reading Bob's very interesting history and scientific information today,
brought to mind some related questions I've had about the history of ferrets
in the US, questions which were also reinforced New Years Eve at a party we
had at our house.

At the party we had about 15 people ranging in age from teens to 70's.  We
noticed that the older (60's and 70's) people were quite leery of our ferret
because they remember ferrets being raised for hunting rats and rabbits.  As
a matter of fact my grandfather used ferrets for hunting (60+ years ago,
probably) and my father does not have fond memories.  He enjoys watching our
ferret but doesn't want to get very near her.

At the younger end of the age range, they all seemed to be familiar with
ferrets & really enjoyed our ferret.  (And EVERYONE loved the ferret calendar!)

In between, for people between about age 25 to 55 or so, most people were
not familiar with ferrets and most had never seen one until they met ours.

Does this fit in with ferret history in the USA?  When did ferrets (and
hunting with them) start becoming illegal and how many states eventually had
laws outlawing ferrets?  When did this start turning back around and what
were the reasons?  In the US, is keeping ferrets strictly as companion
animals relatively new in their long history?