From:
Rebecca McFarlane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 10:30:05 -0500
To everyone here at my extended family, the FML members, I want to wish you
a very merry, blessed Christmas.  I know not all of us are Christians, so
don't want to make anyone upset, but whatever your celebrating at this time
of year, I hope it's joyful.

Lately the tragedies we've read about have broken my heart.  Liz and the
little ferret, the bad MF feed, CJ, Kevin, and so many, many more.  I sit
here at my work station early in the mornings or at noon and wind up
crying.

I know holiday's aren't the easiest things for everyone.  You're supposed
to be full of good cheer, busy, bustling, whistling.  But for a lot of
people that's not possible, especially with the loss of the babies.  A
few years ago John Lennon and Yoko Ono wrote a song, "And So This is
Christmas".  It has another title I believe-"The War is Over", but I prefer
the one pertaining to Christmas.  I thought a lot last night about this
song, and about all of us here.  The first part of the song goes "And so
this is Christmas, and what have you done, another year over, and the new
one just begun".

Yep, and so this is Christmas, and what have we done?  We've helped each
other, fought with each other, cried and laughed at stories together.
Through the FML I've met marvelous people, and correspond with several on
a regular basis.  My babies Aunt Judy in Ohio, their Godmother Cathie
Venturelli in Mexico, wonderful and funny Jeanne Pomp, Phyllis Smith,
wonderful Randy Belair.  Then there are the people you email personally to
send condolences or information to-far too many to name.  Then, of course,
there's Bob C.  What else can be said?  Limejello and his exploding
Brazilian Chickens that had me falling out of my chair and passing students
thinking this woman needs a straight jacket!  Mr. Bill Gruber, the man
whose hair is probably snow white from moderating all of us (you drink
decaffeinated beverages, don't you, Bill?)   [Well, beer doesn't have
caffeine, right?  Though I do have some made with Starbucks coffee!  BIG]

I haven't voted for FML person of the year because I can't.  Besides the
ones that have been nominated, I can think of a large number to be added.
I can't choose because they're all equal in my mind-that would be like
asking me to give up one of my furr kids-no way.

To all the people here who've rescued, saved, lost babies, in other words
to all of you, I want to extend my hopes for a joyous season.  Even though
the hurts of the losses are right there at the moment, know the fur kids
who've gone to the bridge are waiting for you.  As Kevin says, the weangels
are there, and all those babies are weangels.

In closing, another line from the song named above.

"And so this is Christmas, and I hope you have fun, the near and the dear
ones, the old and the young.  A merry day Christmas, and a happy new year,
let's hope it's a good one, without any fears".

God bless you all, happy holidays.  I hope peace comes to all who are sad,
and joy to all of us.

Rebecca and the Crew of Merry Mayhem

=======================
Rebecca McFarlane
Secretary
Basic Medical Sciences
School Veterinary Medicine
Purdue University
West Lafayette, IN  47907-1246
Phone:   765-494-8632
Fax:     765-494-0781
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste
 good with ketchup"