From:
Sharon Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 10:35:51 EDT
Someone mentioned that they liked having "full levels" in their ferret
cage.  I think its not only a matter of like (I can cram more stuff in
their cage!) but a matter of health.  Someone also mentioned free roam =
poor body tone.  I don't know what to tell you about that.  Maybe your guys
don't get enough stimulation to play?  Since in the wild they would have to
hunt every day of their lives and here its eat, sleep, play, and poop.

I think the two tie in to each other, maybe.  My guys have a huge 4 level
cage.  But one of them was a rescue who had been living in a single level
cage with 2 "balconies." These things were barely wide enough for a ferret
to lie on.  Definitely not enough to stretch out on and for a big ferret?
NO WAY!  He was in there with his sister for 6 months.  When I got them
they couldn't stand up on their hind legs to climb, his can't/couldn't pick
up his head, if you laid him on his back.  Now he is the most determined
escape ferret of the nine that I have!  He can climb anything (even a brass
hat and coat rack!?) he will jump from anywhere (very very scary!) and
scampers like a pro.  He still doesn't pick up his head, but I'm not sure
if thats because he is laid back and easy going or if he still has
problems.  If I lay him flat and support his head he can, if I let his head
dangle (ouch!) he doesn't/can't?  I don't worry about it to much.  He is
healthy and playful other wise and in his controlled environment it isn't a
big concern!

One thing I was wondering was if the free roam ferrets got much climbing
in?  If they do I would say your vet was full of it.  Maybe he was
comparing your fur babies to a wild weasel or something.  Of which I am
afraid our guys would look like marshmallows if compared to!  I think my
guys are very fit, my girls too!  But if we were to try to compare them to
those lean, hard, hunting killing machines in the wild, I don't think they
would compare favorably.

I don't believe a cage "makes" them more fit, but a good one can help if
they are caged regularly.

On a different note, I think ferrets learn attitude from each other.  All
of my ferrets no matter where they came from or how old they were when I
got them or how I trained them before they joined the group, seem to be
following my dominant male.  They do what he does.  Act rowdy and bite
everything (not always very hard and its been a long time since anyone has
drawn blood).  On the other hand my best friend has a large crowd of
weasels roughly the same ages as my crew and they are much more laid back.

Some differences are, hers get much more time out of the cage, she is home
a great deal more to weasel with them, and the third, she always describes
her first ferret as a sweetheart.  Hmm, I also forgot I've got young kids
who can be rough but so far I think the weasels like it.  But her whole
crew of 13 follows the same lead, gentle, easy and loving.  My crew of 6
(main cage) are holy terrors.  And five of them are under one though,
including the ring leader!) Hers are young too though I can't remember how
young the youngest is except for the mama and babies she recently adopted
from me, which don't count!  LOL!

Enjoy your fuzzies guys!

Sharon