From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 1996 15:55:12 -0400
Sherie asked about ferrets and rabies.

I sure won't go into the whole discussion here, but it has never been shown
that a ferret can transmit rabies.  So far, all of the shedding studies
performed show that the ferret dies before the virus gets into it's saliva.
If it diesn't get into the saliva then it can't spread the virus through a
bite.

I don't know how practicle it would be for you, but in New Hampshire, a
ferret who has been vaccinated for rabies is granted a quarantine period BY
LAW.  If your ferret is vaccinated and it bites someone, the state health
dept can not kill it unless it is symptomatic of rabies.  Now I realize that
at 12 weeks old, you will be looking to get it vaccinated.  If you are up
this way on a holiday, or early on a Saturday morning (until noon) Dr. Mike
Dutton is up this way in Weare, NH at the Weare Animal Hospital.  I dare
anyone to find a more ferret knowledgable and ferret friendly vet in New
England.  I would seriously doubt that he would be even concerned about a
nip from a healthy kit.  His number is (603) 529-4999.  (He certainly hasn't
on any of the 400 we've taken to him.)

Dick B.