From:
Anna Curry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 10:25:27 PDT
Dear Meghan,
to answer your question about ferrets waking up and jumping up to scratch
themselves I believe it is normal.  Belle and Tigger do it all the time.  I
asked questions at first, do they have fleas, dry skin, a rash, a spider or
insect bit, what?  A friend of mine who use to have ferrets said that they
do this for entertainment.  Being a mother of 2 I went to the vet anyway
and the vet said this was normal.

Dear Michael, (fur ball)
If your ferret become thin at an alarming rate, it may have a fur ball
growing in its stomach.  If caught early, foreign objects and fur balls can
be "greased out" with laxatives for cats.  I will be asking my vet today
about prevention and more warning signs.

Dear Jena, (declawing)
I beg you please don't declaw your baby Angel.  I speak from experience.
When I was 8 my mother lost 90% of her hands.  I grew up watching the long
painful rehabilitation (physically and mentally) of learning to do without
essential parts of her body that she had become dependent on.  I know humans
and ferrets and different in may ways but some things are the same.  I care
a great deal about both, he will have to learn to do without fingers which
will effect play time and his personality.  He will be in pain for a long
time and changing seasons will also be painful as well as rainy days, not
to mention the risk of infection.  Please don't misunderstand the comments
you have received.  People across the globe are sending their message.  If
I was unsure about something and received the response that you have I
would listen.  Angel is only 3 months old, he is just a baby..Please don't
do this.  He will outgrow his behavior but he will never grow his fingers
back.  He is trying to get out of his cage because he wants to play with
you, he has A LOT of energy now, just let him burn it up.

Dear Daphne, (ferret-friendly sitter)
I live in Severna Park, Maryland and would be interested in ferret sitting
for you.  Please e-mail me so we can discuss details if you are in need.

Dear Carol, (donation to shelter in name of 2 ferrets in the rain)
The shelter closest to me said they wouldn't know what to do with a
donation so I am going to volunteer my time there.  I'll also be checking
out the other shelters in my state for financial assistance.  I have a
listing of it looks like all of the shelters in the US.  If you are
interested in your state please let me know and I will post it.  FYI: What
$5 Can Buy: one month's worth of high-quality food for one ferret; one
distemper shot, eight rolls of paper towel (one weeks worth); 50 large
trash bags (50 days worth); 1/4 veterinary visit; one tooth extraction; 1/5
full dental cleaning; one bottle of amoxicillin for infections; a gift
package (blanket, toys and more).  This place gets clinic discounts and is
focused on geriatric ferrets.  For a brochure about the foster program,
send a self-addressed stamped envelope to: Ferret Association of
Connecticut, Foster Ferret Program, 16 Sherbrooke Ave., Hartford, CT
06106-3838.  Donations can also be sent to this address.  If $5 does all
that then I'll be sending that too, even though its out of state it sounds
great!

Best wishes to all you lovely fuzzies and the families that love you.
Anna, Belle, & Tigger
[log in to unmask] (backup e-mail; I never used the 1st one before)