From:
Troy Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:24:49 -0600
When I clip nails, I put a little linatone on the belly and clip away.
It isn't long before another little one comes up and helps clean the
belly of the other.  Then another and another and.... I have to put a lot
of linatone on the belly to get all nails clipped and then I work on the
others that have helped.  So I guess we are a sharing group!

We've had a few solitarys.  They were older and it was quite a change
when they joined our family.  For the most part, the majority of my group
are patient and kind and will leave a solitary alone though sometimes
another oldster will cuddle with them when they are asleep.  Imagine the
surprise when the solitary wakes up!

Frankie was a solitary.  He still thinks he is but he's learning.  He
sneaks up and bites butts or tails and gives a shake.  The other night
several were sleeping in a paper grocery sack and one lone tail was
hanging out.  Frankie spotted it and grabbed it and shook it with all his
might.  It didn't phase the victim though she did pull her tail in the
bag.  Frankie resides in a cage while I'm away so he doesn't do that to
any of the oldsters but he's out while I'm home and can monitor him.  He
has quite the temper too.  I sternly spoke to him and pushed him away
from an oldster.  He got so angry he came after my hand.  It took all I
had not to giggle at his attempt and I failed miserably.  He stopped and
glared at me and if eyes could shoot darts.... He also intimidates.
He'll come right up to my face while I'm sleeping and when I open my eyes
he is staring at me.  Doesn't take even a second for me to sit up!  Such
a little stinker he is!

It can be quite an adjustment for a solitary when joining a group.  I
give the solitary their own space and integrate at their own pace.  Some
adapt quicker than others and keeping them stress free can be a bit of a
challenge.

Ours love to go to the vet.  Thursday when I was getting the cage ready
for the two girls, I had 6 or 7 others trying to convince me they needed
to go too.  They swarmed the cage, managed to climb in and settled in
the blanket and hammock all piled on each other waiting for the adventure
to begin!  They were so disappointed when I had to remove them from the
travel cage.... boy do they know how to make me feel bad!  Of course our
vet is never surprised when I schedule vet visits and bring a few extra
along.  He just smiles and snuggles each little one.  :-)

Warm hugs. tle

Troy Lynn Eckart, F.B.S.
Ferret Family Services
http://www.ferretfamilyservices.org