Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 10:19:20 -0700
Call me lucky or call it nature, but vaccine reactions in my home have been
pretty much non-existent... touch wood.  It was only in the last two years
or so that I actually started having all the ferrets pre-benadrylled prior
to their vaccinations.  For the remaining part of 15 or so years, my
ferrets had gotten their shots with no other precautions given and this
would include about 12 ferrets.  The most reaction they ever experienced
was mild lethargy.  My ferrets have always gotten both shots on the same
day, at the same time.

Although it seems that it may be dangerous or risky to give your ferrets
vaccinations, please remember that the cases you read about here are posted
from those whose ferrets have had a reaction.  People don't generally post
to report no vaccine reactions to the FML.  As this list is dedicated to
improving the lives of our wee ones, medical conditions, injuries and
accidents, new treatments and possible cures, are more commonly the topics
posted.  And just as in medical science when humans are involved, there
will be a small percentage of people who will fall outside of the average
reactions.

Each owner on this list has been given valuable information to use at their
own discretion, and to talk over with their vet.  In arming yourself with
information that the possibility of having a reaction exists, along with
ways of combating a negative reaction, then you have taken the first step
in responsible ownership.  Knowledge is power.  Paying close attention
to your ferret during the office stay, and then at home for the next few
days, is crucial.  Comparison is important to determine if your ferret is
behaving the same as before he was vaccinated, or nauseated, lethargic or
weak.  Then evaluate and assess... If the reaction warrants having shots
done separately on different days, then do so.  If the lack of reaction
warrants you do nothing differently, then leave it.

Keep in mind that each ferret is as individual in their reactions to
medications as people are, and that what may seem okay to give them now,
may not be okay to give them down the road.  Allow for your plan to be
modified at any given time, and that the ferret should be re-evaluated,
and reassessed through out its lifetime.

Research. Direction. Observation. Comparison. Evaluation. Assessment.

Betty and Her Blur O'Fur
For the love of ferrets.... Missing Ripley, Mandy and Jingles