From:
Rachel Zuckerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2010 01:34:37 -0400
Hi everyone,

So I come home this evening to find that Eddie seems to have a slight
rectal prolapse. He is acting perfectly fine (was tremendously excited
to help me take out the garbage), is eating well, poops are slightly
loose but not really what I'd call diarrhea. I've been reading up on
the FHL about rectal prolapse/proctitis and I tried the
cortisone/Preparation H remedy-- Eddie was NOT thrilled! There was a
tiny bit of blood on the Q-tip I used to apply it, but the only thing
that seems to actually bother him is directly messing with it.
Obviously I'll call the vet if this doesn't work, but has anyone ever
seen a prolapsed rectum in an adult ferret with no other symptoms? It's
hard to tell if it's an actual prolapse or just swelling/irritation.
Could it be related to too much roughhousing (my boys don't exactly
pull punches and I've seen both of them take claw strikes to personal
areas)? I can't imagine it's comfortable, but like I said he's not
acting out of the ordinary at all. I'll keep you updated, and thanks
for any ideas in advance!

Rachel, Valentine, and Eddie Ouchiebutt