From:
Juliana Quadrozzi - GA Domestic Ferret Assoc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 22:03:06 -0500
>From:    Robert Ivey <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Is anyone aware of any ferret clubs or shelters in the coastal S.
>Carolina/Georgia area?  If not, where are the good sources of information
>for starting a club.

We're not that far away, relatively speaking.  Check out our listing in the
next FML Advertising Issue.

**********************************
NOTICE:
Lost - 1/1/97 Mableton, GA - 4 yr old, sable, MF, male, loves toilet paper
Found - 1/31/96 Atlanta, GA - found in Piedmont Part, must describe
**********************************

I've read quite a few posts about the issue of buying ferrets & am
particulary concerned w/the those who believe that the less fortunate
shouldn't be afforded the joy of owning a companion pet.

I'm more concerened about the individual's reason for not wanting to pay.
Yes, I know the GDFA requires an adoption fee.  We've even resorted to
trying to get surrender fees for health problems & upcoming unvaccinations
(we push much harder when the owners decide they're *too busy* or *are
concerned about the new carpet* than take responsibility for their pet).
Otherwise none of us could afford to do what we do for these *impulse pets*.
Equally, we feel that *without cost* is equated to *without value* & most of
our rescues have already experienced that situation.

But is it really fair to say that because someone isn't economically
*comfortable* (& how many of us really are?) enough to handle a future
medical costs that they should be denied the joy of owning a pet.  I say
this because I've known many giving individuals who couldn't affort
exorbitant medical expenses, but did whatever they could & provided a
comfortable loving home.

Last week while in Manhattan I came across an unfortunate soul living on the
street (a bag lady w/a shopping cart) w/her 2 dogs.  While I believe that
there's no way she could afford medical treatment for herself, no less her
pets, I feel it would be inhuman to take them away from her.  It was clear
to me she loved & cared for them, & just as important, they loved her.

I take exception to people looking for *cheap* pets.  Those are the people
who devaluate the worth of a pet.  They are the people who find pets to be
disposable once the novelty has worn off or if it doesn't live up to their
expectations of what their pet should be.  You know, the ones who want to
get rid of their responsibility because *it poops in the corner* or *it's
too much trouble to take care of*.  These individuals put no though into the
responsibility of owning a pet before they aquire it - because it was
*cheap* & easy to get.

******************************
Another issue that there's been a lot of response to is *shelter making a
profit*.  I haven't had a chance to read it yet because I'm still catching
up on the last few weeks, but I can assure you, there's no money to be made
working a shelter.  More often than not we're digging into our own pockets.

I personally don't do this because it's fun & I don't need a pat on the
back.  Staying up all night nursing someone elses sick or neglected pet,
only to have it die in your arms or having to run to an emergency clinic to
put it out of its misery isn't my idea of a good time.  I don't look forward
to coming home to my 2nd job of spending hours on the phone answering
questions, taking calls about lost pets, coordinating foster homes, & caring
for fosters while trying to find good homes for them.  & if more people
would think about what they're going to do, before doing it, I wouldn't have
to.  It's called responsibility.

So if you think I like doing this - I don't.  & if you think shelters make
money - ours doesn't.

I personally do it because ferrets are so endearing to me that I can't not
do it (I know, double negative, but it works).  But I would much rather
devote all my time to my own babies.

My opinions are my own & not necessarily that of the GDFA.

Juliana
Frodo, Rocks, Anola Gay, SNAFU, FUBAR, Tabu, Chaos & Tuxedo