From:
Elle Jensen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 11:32:13 -0500
Hi All!
I am brand new to the FML, but have actually been lurking for almost a year
thanks to a special friend who has been kind enough to print them for me
every day(Thanx Char!).

First of all, let me introduce myself.  My name is Elle, and I am a small
private breeder in Michigan.  I belong to the GLFA, and hold a Judging
licence with them.  Got my first fuzzbutts about 4 years ago, and my first
breeding pair just over 2 years ago.  All of my fuzzies are my pets first
and foremost, they (of course) live in my home with me and are allowed "out
time" as often as possible.  I handle all of my kits from the day they are
born, and spay/neuter them before placement.(No flames please, I am aware of
the problems associated with "early altering").  I neuter no earlier than
8-9 weeks and only after long agonizing debates with myself about which was
worse... the fairly early alter or putting my intact babies in the hands of
someone possibly not responsible enough to spend the money to get them
altered or someone who maybe decides 6 months down the road that hey, I
could make a load of money breeding these little critters!  Of course, we
all know that ferret breeders are extremely lucky to ever even break even on
their endevors (sp?) but some people will continue to think of this as a
"quick buck"

Anyway, the philosophy here is to breed first for health and genetic
correctness,temperament, long lives and always to better the breed so to
speak.

Anyway, I will share more about the Ferretry at another time.  I really
wanted to respond to the people talking about Genets.  I acccidently deleted
the FML in question, so dont recall who it was... but someone stated that
Genets were felines.  In fact, Genets are not felines but a member of the
family Viverridae.  They are closely related to the Civet.  We have had ours
for 2 years, his name is Toulouse,and he is convinced he is a ferret!  He
eats the same thing as the ferrets, plays with the ferrets, uses a litterbox
actually better than the ferrets and sleeps in his "hammie".  Of course, we
raised him on the bottle with baby ferrets, so I guess it just figures that
he would think he was a ferret!

Anyway, just wanted to clear up some misconceptions about Genets.

This is a great list, have learned alot over the past year just reading it.
You all seem to be a great bunch of folks and I look forward to being a part
of the discussions here!

Elle
Rainbow River Ferretry
"Simply the Best"
Grizabella ( The Glamour Weasel)
Raffi  ( Come closer, I want to taste you!)