Date:
Sun, 26 Jul 1998 17:46:48 -0400
I wrote a few days ago about the erie zoo job i just started today.  I got
to meet the ferrets today, but was unable to handle them because i need to
go through tons o "animal handling lessons" hm.  well.  i guess its not
enough that i have my own ferrets, but anyway.....The two ferrets at the
zoo are a male and female sables who have a reputation for being biters and
generally not very pleasant ferrets.  When i mentioned ferrets to any of
the other workers, the general response was "blech." In my opinion, the
ferrets just need love.  I dont' think the zoo people know much about
ferrets.  I think they know enough to keep them alive but not happy.  They
have a nice three story cage that was donated with the ferrets, but they
don't get any free running time, which i think could be part of the root of
their unhappiness.  They were previously owned by two young boys, and i
think that their biting may have come from mistreatment from them as well.
The one zookeeper said that a lot of behavior stuff is hereditary...and
seeing as i struggled thru genetics this year in college, i'm askign those
of higher power if that is so...I don't totally trust the zookeepers there
to know TOO much, not that they're total morons tho.  I think that if i
have any spare time i'm going to go in and spend time with the ferrets, and
maybe see if tehre is a place i can take them to play.  I think they would
do better if they got play and some treats.  They do get ferretone, but it
is just put on their food.  So if anyone has any comments on my ramblings,
drop me a line.

:)
brenda