From:
Linda Doran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 1996 02:55:14 -0700
I would appreciate help for my little Esperanza:

A few weeks ago, I took Esperanza back to the vet because she seemed a
little lethargic, and she once again had a urinary tract infection.  This
time, the vet prescribed Baytril instead of Clavamox, and for 21 days
instead of 10 days.  He tried to collect enough urine to isolate the
specific bacteria, but couldn't get a large enough sample.  He did observe
red and white blood cells.

Tonight, I took Espie and Lucky Charm with me to a New Year's Eve party, and
after being there for quite a while, Espie went to the bathroom on the
floor.  A person who happens to have experience as a vet tech noticed her
urine looked red with blood and collected it on a paper towel for me.

I took her to the emergency hospital. Her temperature was normal. Her
bladder was empty. The vet could feel no enlarged kidney or spleen. Espie
seemed a little dehydrated so she gave her a subcutaneous fluid injection.
The vet recommended that I watch her closely to make sure she is eating
and drinking, and that I take her back to my regular vet for another
urine sample tomorrow to isolate the bacteria. She suggested we might
also want to do an ultrasound on her bladder to look for cysts or other
chronic sites of infection. She seemed very knowledgeable and kind. One
possible explanation is that Espie could have a urinary tract infection
that is resistant to the antibiotics she has been given. Another
suggestion is insulinoma, but her last blood test showed normal glucose
levels (about six months ago, I think). Another suggestion was the
breaking down of red blood cells (I think this may be the same rare
condition mentioned here very recently in another ferret on the FML).

Anyway, I'm hoping for the best.  Do the vets here agree with the
suggestions so far?  Is there anything else that could be wrong or something
else I could be doing?

Linda and Esperanza (Mom, I hate getting my temperature taken)