From:
Katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2014 08:16:39 -0500
Sukie wrote:
>Taking in more animals than a person can provide with adequate care,
>or failing to seek help including new home for animals when a person
>becomes unable to any longer care for the animals fully (sanitation,
>fiord, medical care, etc.) IS the definition of a hoarder.

We see this daily in the ferret community, from both shelters and
individuals. Not a day goes by that someone isn't asking for funds
for an emergency, and I'm on very few ferret sites. I think all of us
should take an honest look at what we really can afford. It's easy to
keep saying yes and then you're in over your head before you know it.
There are some who do this frequently. These people need to honestly
look at what they can realistically do on their own, with their own
day-to-day fund-raising. Sometimes, we all have to learn to say no. We
can't save every animal out there. You need a cushion to handle those
emergencies. Don't wait until it occurs and then start scrambling for
money while the animal suffers.

Katharine
Florida