From:
ERIKA MATULICH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 1996 09:32:48 -0500
One of my ferrets, Lizzie, has an inoperable tumor on her right adrenal
(left adrenal has already been removed).  She is on Lysodren for the rest of
her life.  Lysodren (or mitotane) is used to inhibit the growth of abnormal
(tumor or hormone secreting) cells.  It is used in humans to reduce the size
of cancerous tumors, but the tumor does not need to be cancerous for the
drug to be effective.

Ultrasounds on Lizzie every six months show that the aggressive tumor, which
was wrapping around her heart, has not only stopped growing, but has receded
somewhat.  Her fur has come back, too.

Depending on the dosage, the drug may be very expensive.  It must also be
carefully administered (exact doses every 3 days at the same time each day,
and don't get it on your skin).  The dosage for Lizzie was high enough that
my vet was not authorized to dispense it; I had to go to a special
compounding pharmacy to get it made up, and it costs about $50 for a 2-month
supply.  Lower-level doses are considerably cheaper.  The drug must be
compounded in an oil-based liquid, kept refrigerated, and shaken very well
to ensure accurate dosing.  The pharmacist and I tried many flavors (fruit,
liver, fish, bubblegum, etc.) and have had the best results in mixing it
with plain old Linatone and no other special flavors.

Good luck with your Lysodren therapy!

- Erika (and the Magnificent 7)