From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 2004 08:52:49 -0400
>Jen, Sasha and Snowball here with a question about UNWANTED and
>UNINVITED house dwellers such as MICE!

I live in a rural area and have had MANY mice in the house over the
last 14 years.

I recommend a Havahart live trap put out at night, when ferrets are
locked in their cage, baited with peanut butter and a couple pieces of
kibble.  Place the trap near where you have seen droppings.  The mice
are most likely to come out once the house is dark and quiet.

If you catch a mouse, you MUST take it at least a mile away before
releasing.  Any closer and it will find it's way back home.  I put the
trap in a large paper bag, fold the end over and use a clip to hold it
closed.  I once caught a tiny baby mouse that walked right out of the
trap while it was sitting on the counter!!  Fortunately, the poor little
thing was so confused it did not go far, and my daughter and I were able
to corner and recapture it.  Didn't want to risk a mouse getting loose
in the car!

I've seen the small sized Havahart traps online for under $15, but they
last a LONG time.  During one infestation, we caught about 15 mice over
a 3 week period, and have probably trapped another 15-20 others.  All in
the one trap!

Good luck with your little visitors!

Linda Iroff
Oberlin OH