From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 1994 12:24:11 -0400
        To Christine Staab, whose ferret has a head tilt -

        The history of an infection which has resolved following antibiotics and
a residual head tilt is strongly suggestive of an ear infection.  There are
nerves in the ear which affect balance, even how the head is held.  Generally
the side that the head is tilted to and the animal falls to is the side that has
the infection.  Another, more remote possibility is that of a tumor either in
those nerves or in the brain.

        My suggestion is to continue the antibiotic for 3-4 weeks and also to
use a low dose of prednisone or cortisone on top of it.  You must have the
animal on antibiotics and the dose of cortisone should be low, or you may worsen
the infection.

        I can't predict whether you will see improvement or not.  Many of the
cases improve, some even are cured, but some also show no improvement.  In the
case of a tumor, there isn't a lot you can do.

Best of luck - keep us posted.

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 576-2453/2454                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000