Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 19:36:45 -0700
If you're ever in need of medical advice regarding your ferret, please
go to the FHL (Ferret Health List) and post there too.  There are various
veterinarians and ferret owners who may be able to give you further
advice and/or guidance as to how you can help your fuzzy.  The archives
are an amazing source of information as well and very user friendly.  You
can join by going to:

If you are not happy with your current veterinarian for any reason, you
can also contact your local ferret shelter and see if they can recommend
another clinic.  The following link lists shelters across the US and
Canada:

http://www.ferretcentral.org/orgs.html
[Moderator's note: That's very out-of-date, but I guess it's better than
nothing.  BIG]

As for the tasteless posts regarding the comment an obviously stressed
and concerned ferret owner made.don't forget what it was like when you
were in that position.  And if you happen to have the incredible good
fortune of never having been in those shoes, may you never feel the pangs
of desperation and helplessness from one of your little ones being sick
and your not being able to help due to a lack of resources (financial or
otherwise), information or a ferret knowledgeable vet.

Regardless of whether or not her comment was appropriate, we can all slip
when under such emotional, physical and mental stress.  Last I checked,
no one on this planet was perfect.  But what I find most disconcerting
is the fact that there are members of the FML who are actually AFRAID
of asking for help because of the possible backlash from others.  Very
troubling indeed - that a ferret we might be able to help may quite
possibly die because of a fear that has clearly been instilled amongst
some in this group.  There were 2 examples of that fear in yesterday's
FML, one asking for the flames to stop, the other person un-subscribing
altogether.  Both were sent in anonymously and both claiming it was done
to avoid any backlash.  If there was no fear, then posting anonymously
would not have been necessary.  Actually, I can remember another
gentleman who posted over the winter looking for help regarding his
ferret.  He also un-subscribed because of the "flames".

If anyone feels the need to attack me personally because of this post,
feel free to do so.  Only email me directly.  I think enough people have
been discouraged by this nonsense and there's no need to lose more
members because of it.  Unless of course, you have a relentless desire
to be the center of attention - good or bad.

Like many, I try my best to keep up with the FML and due to time
constraints focus pretty much on those asking for help.  I'm able to do
that most days, but this is one I missed.  But there are many who did
not.  If people would only concentrate the same energy on HELPING
ferrets.  Should you have the 5 minutes to cut someone to pieces in a
post, why not use that time to say something like, "I'm sorry I don't
have any answers for you, but if you go to the FHL someone there
MIGHT"...