Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2006 00:40:33 -0400
Last Saturday, Trudy (MaFF Shelter Director) and I drove to Centerville
with a load of carriers ready to pick up the 8 ferrets (not 9 as
originally thought) for transfer to foster homes.  Centerville MSPCA is
a tiny shelter loaded with lots of cats, dogs, bunnies, and 8 ferrets.
Not only are there a lot of surrendered animals, but a great staff of
workers and volunteers to care for all these animals.  I was delighted to
see that the ferret cages were nicely outfitted with clean hammies, soft
blankets, fresh water and food, and clean litter pans.  The coordinator
was great in helping us load the ferrets into carriers and putting a
label on each carrier with the ferrets' names.  She also pointed out that
6-year old, Furby, had some very dark diarrhea and was very lethagic.
They had checked him earlier and finding him dehydrated gave him some
sub-q fluids.  We called the foster mommy and explained his condition as
being very questionable and checked to make sure that she was prepared
to care for a very sick ferret.  She was fine with this and would be
bringing her ferret first-aid kit with her to the transfer location.

With all the ferrets loaded in car, we headed back to pick up my car,
where we transferred the carriers with the ferrets going with me to the
transfer location.  Upon arriving at our designated transfer point, I
was met by the foster caregivers.

The first transfer was Furby and his cagemate (a 4-year old adrenal
female), where it was determined that he needed emergency vet attention.
So off Rose and Bob German went to a local vet for an assessment of his
condition.  The prognosis was not good, so he went to his foster home,
where he was given meds and supportive care, with the decision that he
would re-assessed in 24 hours.  Sadly, I have to report the Furby left
for the Rainbow Bridge sometime between 1AM and 4AM.  He is not in pain
anymore and will be learning about the wonders of the Bridge while he
waits for his cagemate to join him someday.

A group of three (2 males and 1 female) have settled into South Shore
Ferret Care (a new Mass. shelter) with director, Diane Wall.  A single
older female went to the MaFF shelter with Trudy, where she is getting
much needed playtime and TLC.  Another single male (about 4 years old)
went to foster caregivers Heather and Greg Bowser, who have reported that
he is settling in nicely, but suspect that he might be blind.  And,
finally, a single male (1 year 2 months) came home with me, where he is
playing and dooking up a storm.

I want to thank each of the caregivers (foster homes and shelters) for
giving these little ones some time to grow strong and get ready for a new
forever home.  With our overcrowded shelter, each foster home makes a
huge difference in giving surrendered ferrets a safe place to stay until
it comes time to meet their new families.

Phyllis Spy
President, MaFF