From:
Margaret Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 20:47:40 -0600
Hello All,

As you may recall, this last summer I posted my thoughts about what a
national group should do.  I have always felt that what the ferret community
needed to do was to educate the general public and launch it own's public
relations effort to clear up any misconceptions being fostered in the media
and by government officials.

Since this idea was promoted recently, once again, in this forum, I thought
I would go ahead and announce the creation of a national organization that I
have been working on with several folks from this list, behind the scenes.

The New World Ferret Organization is an organization whose main purpose is
to promote accurate facts on domestic ferrets as pets, current medical
information and resources for owners and vets, and to serve as a general
clearing house of information or contacts for all independent local clubs
and shelters, in the Americas.  We hope to serve all of North and South
America, as needed.  We do not intend to be solely for the US.

We will provide contact information not only on the internet, but also by
more everyday means.  We feel there is a great inequity in certain areas as
to the resources available to ferret owners and vets, especially those who
do not have internet access.

Creation and distribution of accurate information on ferrets is the goal
here. The New World Ferret Organization will not be directly involved in
shows, clubs or legal battles. We will gladly help out in the area of
information for any of these things however.

This has been slow going on my part, due mainly to personal issues.
However, I am now at a place where I can devote the much needed time and
effort to this and plan to do everything in my power to get this up and
running.  I have had some wonderful input from some very involved ferrety
folks, most of whom do not regularly post on the FML.  But let me tell you,
they are some very talented and very wonderful people who do not want to get
involved with anyone's political or personal battles within the ferret
community.  We all have the same goal in mind, to help educate and inform,
be a source of support and information for ferret owners and the general
public.

If you have any ideas or wish to help, feel free to contact me.  Input on
what you, the ferret owner, thinks the issues that are not being addressed
is always welcomed.

The organization will shortly have web pages and its own email address set
up.  I will keep everyone posted.  And yes, we will be working towards the
goal of being a recognized charitable organization.

Mo' Maggie