From:
"Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary in Hernando, MS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2012 17:28:19 -0500
Good Morning Everyone,

It is with a heavy heart that I write to you about my shelter and my
situation...and the unwritten future for 55 ferrets in shelter today.

Sadly, my husband, Joe, passed away in September.

I took a few weeks off work to do what had to be done and attempt to
gather myself enough to just - function. It's been very, very difficult
to say the least. And the road only gets more burdensome from here....

You see, Joe's income paid for our mortgage, electric, water, etc
etc....living expenses. My income paid for the shelter's operating
costs....I kept the shelter door's open. Needless to say, I am
terrified for my ferrets and, alas, for myself. Mostly for the ferrets
and the shelter that I worked so hard to build and put my heart and
soul into. I am not throwing in the towel and giving up, not just
yet....the shelter is all I have left. I can't do that. But, I am
very, very realistic...it's going to be difficult. Scary difficult.
And, today, the ferrets and I got handed another financial burden to
conquer and that prompted this writing..

In this very dreary economy, many people are struggling and Joe and I
were no exception. That was before his passing. Now, alone, it's only
worsened with the probate issues yet to be finalized.

I am not looking for donations, sympathy, or even empathy...NOTHING --
I only came forward with this information so that the ferret community
would know why I have decided to close the shelter...hopefully, just
temporarily but the shelter's future is uncertain today and tomorrow.
I will continue to adopt out, of course. But I will be unable to take
in any more ferrets. A more reasonable person, perhaps, would have not
taken in the two sets of hoarder ferrets last month, but I could not
turn my back on them. They needed help, oh, so desperately.

So, we will go on, the ferrets and I. But, Raisins must close, today --
for now.....

Maren E. Qualls
Founder/President
Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary
Hernando, MS