From:
Jim Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 1994 08:49:26 -0700
Greetings, all...

I've been lurking for a while, and now have a question:

A few years ago I got my hands on an early (#1 or #2) issue of Ferret
World magazine.  It included an article on ferrets as safe pets, and
mentioned that there exists a variety of "semi-domesticated" mustelids
that _they_ called "fitches"; apparently, they are raised for fur, but
are often sold as ferrets and are the cause of many child bitings.

Now, this does not match any other information I have gleaned from the
list or other reading (admittedly rather limited).  Is this just a new
term for European polecats that are raised for fur?  Are they another
species/race/variety?  What gives?

Any info gratefully received.

Regards,
jim wallace