From:
THOMAS COLE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 May 2009 16:24:47 -0600
Dear Roary,

I just had to respond to your post on Fridays FML. I know that many
people seem to be more selfish and less caring every day. Those of us
that provide a service, whatever the kind, find it one of the most
depressing aspects of what we do. I know this. But there are still
people out there who will go ahead and eat the burger with pickles even
if they didn't order it, just because they don't want to waste it or
cause trouble for the person who missed the fact that they didn't want
pickles. (On the other hand, missing fries, that's another story.) I
realize there's not a lot I can do about the choices other people make.
I can only make the choices that are right for me in relation to what
I care about and what I think can make a difference. Including my
ferrets. When I first thought about getting one of these tiny perennial
2 yr olds, I did my research, I made the commitment, I went to a
shelter and picked up my first two. I had no idea. Then I got involved.
My choice, no looking back, no regrets, no changing my mind. I now have
12, all shelter adopted. Believe me, I have been asked why a time or
two. The reasons are many and complex.

One reason -- People like Maren, and so many, many shelter operators
out there who have taken up the task of caring for such animals as
ferrets. There is a lot of heartbreak there, even more hard work, and
time and money and...and...the list is almost endless. They have my
highest esteem and gratitude, always. Another reason -- The way I felt
when someone like one lady in my Vets office who yanked her young
daughter away and told her "Don't touch that, ferrets are dirty,
nasty animals." Or when one of the managers I work with said to me
"So how are your rodents doing?" The lack of knowledge and the huge
misconceptions that are out there can seem almost insurmountable. And
yet another- The ferrets themselves. The awful things these poor babies
can go through and still come out of are small miracles. The fragility,
resilience, mischievousness, and spirit their little bodies encompass
are absolutely amazing. They are as awesome as the things that happen
to them by people or disease are horrendous.

None of this has a thing to do with the economy. There are as many
people out there that step up to help as there are who ones
inconsiderate and wasteful. There are so many that are ignorant, yet
expect instant gratification and have no intention of finding out any
different. Call it what you will, the influence of society, upbringing,
a lack of morality, mentality. But not all are that way. Even in
today's economy, love and knowledge cost no money, only time and labor.
I know those are in short supply for a lot of us, however, I strongly
believe that each of us can make a small difference in our own way. My
choice was to get involved with the shelter who rescued my little ones.
I do what I can, and although it's never enough to undo any of the
heartbreak, maybe it's enough to help. I work in a building with a
few hundred other people so am able to stop and talk almost every day
to those who notice my ferret screensaver. They ask all sorts of
questions, which I happily and enthusiastically answer. Or taking the
time to talk to the guy that stopped me outside a vets office who asked
if ferrets make good pets for small children, or the one at an expo who
said to me "I used to have ferrets, but they stank so bad...I had cedar
shavings in their cage and gave them a bath every other day." After my
internal shudder, I happily explained ferret care to him too.

I know I'm not alone, that there are other ferret owners who can, will,
do the same thing in their own lives. If they don't, then I encourage
them to do so. One person at a time, one more tiny bit of knowledge
shared. Maybe, just maybe, there will be one less ferret sold rather
than adopted, one less ferret to be rescued, one less ferret that Maren
and many others like her have to say good-bye to. One less burger with
pickles discarded. One small difference at a time.

(Do you think it might cause trouble if you unwrap the burger, remove
the pickles, wrap it back up and hand it back to them?)

Regards,
Bonnie and the Col-Biz