From:
katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2009 08:16:23 -0500
I think we all have our own standards to determine when the time is
right to let one of our pets go. In my many years of ferret ownership
and rescue, I have "lost" in excess of 40 ferrets, either through
euthanizing or their dying on their own. Some were here for many years,
one was here for less than a day. I have no problem euthanizing an
animal when the time is right. I feel it is the kindest thing we can
do. However, my dilemma comes when I am trying to determine WHEN to
do it. There are several factors that come into play. How the animal
feels is the priority, i.e. quality of life. Are pain meds keeping
them comfortable, are they willingly eating (even being assisted via
syringe), are they able to get out of their own waste (we're not always
there to clean them up every minute), do they have some awake hours or
are they sleeping 24/7?

I don't want to keep an animal alive for ME, but I do want to let them
go with a clear conscience. Have I done all I can do for them? I am not
talking about endless poking and prodding and testing. I am talking
about the basics. I have had several come back from the brink of death,
only to live for months or years longer. I was on the verge of letting
them go but decided to try one more thing, or give them one more day.
I have elderly ferrets who are bald, blind, and mostly incontinent,
but I see them exploring the house, sniffing around. I have one right
now who walks around with poop dribbling out of her back side. I did
finally move her into her own cage as I didn't feel it was fair to her
cagemates to live that way. But, she does get time out with them and
seems to enjoy herself, and I very willingly clean up behind her (pun
intended).

I guess my two barometers are quality of life for the animal and
knowing I have done all I can do. One thing I try to prevent is a
feeling that I acted too quickly. It can't be undone.

And, of course, my vet is a very major participant in the decision
since he has been with us through the whole process.

Katharine