From:
"Frank L. Schrier" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 00:53:40 -0400
Our ferret, Kristi, was showing symptoms like sneezing, coughing, and watery
eyes for 3 days.  On the 3rd day she vomitted once (brownish color).  Next
day, planned on taking her to the vet.  When we awoke, her right eye was
swollen and appeared to be bulging out.

We took her to the vet, and he said that she was showing signs of lymphoma
because her lymph nodes are very large (marble size) and her spleen feels
larger than it should be.  He also said she appears to either have an
infection under (behind) her right eye or possibly a tumor.

He prescribed Clavamox 25 mg (1/2 cc) every 12 hours.  He presribed this
antibiotic figuring that if it were an infection that after 3 or 4 days it
should clear.  Then, on this Friday (Apr 19) he wants to do a biopsy to take
one of her lymph nodes & confirm if she has lymphoma.  During the same time,
he plans to look inside at her eye to see what it is.

Kristi has become weaker & we feel that putting her under would be too much
for her.  Besides, we have compared her lymph nodes to our other babies and
hers are much bigger (about the size of marbles).  The only thing this vet
can do w/the biopsy is to diagnois the lymphoma and recommend chemotherpy.

If she does have it, we don't necessarily want to give her chemo.  We would
like to better her quality of life naturally (through herbs) which we plan
to do now, anyway.

OUR MAIN CONCERN IS HER EYE.  We didn't give her the antibiotic last night
or today.  She protests the white stuff!!!  For the last day we have given
her pet tinic vitamins and at least the swelling has gone down a little.
Although her eye is still bulging and there's still a white mass of some
form, like a third eyelid going over a quarter of the part of her eye
closest to her nose (kind of confusing!).  She does play, although moves a
lot slower & sleeps a lot more than usual.  She just seems so worn down and
limp.

DOES ANYONE HAVE KNOWLEDGE WHAT KIND OF EYE PROBLEM SHE COULD HAVE OR WHAT
TESTS CAN BE RAN, OR WHAT CAN POSSIBLY BE DONE ABOUT THE SITUATION?  The vet
still insists on the biopsy tomorrow.

Her brother's can't wait until she gets better!!!  Thanks to anyone who can
help in any way!!!

     Frank & Stacey Schrier