Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 2009 12:57:35 -0700
This post from Tequita stopped me in my tracks, so to speak, and
gave me pause to think . . . and after thinking a bit there came the
realization that I really am ignorant of the chief difference between
a therapeutic animal and a service animal. How about you, Pilgrim?

>Date:    Wed, 14 Oct 2009 07:15:45 -0700
>From:    Tequita Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ferret used as service animal denied access to mall..

[Quoted from article mentioned in the above post. It can be found at:
<http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/10/14/article/pet_that_helps_disabled_man_draws_controversy>
BIG]

>Leann said that it is frustrating to be turned away because of the
>ferret. She said she tried to get certification from the state, but
>was turned down because North Carolina considers the ferret a
>therapeutic animal and not a service animal.

About the best I can make of it is this: an animal that is therapeutic
somehow influences in another animal or human certain feelings,
behavior, or even sensations of possible healing and the easing of
passionate bereavement or emotional stirrings of love for another. So
simply stated, a therapeutic animal does a head job, as in mind over
matter, and may somehow produce healing of physical and psychotic
illness. Consider the dolphin and the killer whale (our Orca out here
in Pacific waters).

The service animal offers an entirely different benefit I would think.
And foremost is the service dog who is trained to provide safe and
secure passage through our societal maze, especially for the unsighted.
When one considers a service animal, perhaps most of us picture, in our
mind's eye, the so called, seeing-eyed dog.

There are also other servicers too, such as the Australian shepherd,
which, in response to the sheepherder's vocabulary of mouth whistles,
will run hither and thither upon a given whistle command and roundup,
collect, and/or stampede a herd of sheep in a manner directed by the
sheepherder. In this case, the dog is providing a service to a human
being.

Then too, there's the sentry servicer, a very large dog the name of
which I know not. His service is to attack and run down any coyote or
wolf that makes its appearance during calving season, thus protecting
the newly dropped calves and birthing mother cows.

With all this in mind one may find it difficult to fit the lowly ferret
into the servicing class of animals. Given the perception of most folks
relating to servicing animals, as I have shown above, it is quite
understandable why ferrets are rejected as servicers in a shopping mall
or other commercial business.

The only instance of employing the ferret as a service animal is to use
it on behalf of mankind and children in the digging out, or should I
say, ferreting out, old, leftover munitions and land mines on forgotten
battlefields. Yea even on active, waring battlefields, such as in
Afghanistan and Iraq. The use of trained, de-mining ferrets could very
well save the lives of NATO Coalition soldiers fighting for (?)
President Barack Hussein Obama . . . and for you and me too. Another
example of service ferret is its use in ridding areas (houses and
businesses) of mice, rats, and other vermin. Along with this is the
benefit to man in the hunting ferret that flushes out rabbits from
their warrens into the hands of the meat and pelt hunter.

Beyond my understanding is the so-called seeing-eye ferret, that on a
limp, fabric or plastic leash line, can signal of pathway obstacles,
say on a paved sidewalks or other vehicle or pedestrian traffic-ways.
In my limited experience leash walking ferrets, they definitely prefer
the untrodden traffic ways, the adjacent, unpaved borders of sidewalks.
The simple reason for this is the natural scenting behavior of the
ferret in satisfying its innate olfactory instinct. To put it another
way, the ferret simply wants to go where the most stink is. All
different kinds of stink.

Considering the therapeutic ferret for a moment, in addition to the
case cited by Tequita (ferret seemed to becalm her husband) we have our
very own therapeutic ferret right here. Yeah . . . right here on this
very list. Well, sort of. Her name is SarahFerret[SF], and although
strictly speaking she doesn't have all that much fur and only a very,
very, very short tail (just kidding), her therapy for mourners of the
Dearly Departed (D / D) is obviously very healing and therapeutic
indeed.

>Dear SarahFerret [SF]
>
>Would you please greet our Addypos and show her the way to the New
>Zealand Ferret Clan. She will be arriving on a beautiful big blue
>dragon. We lost our Addypos last night, she crossed over, . . .

I'll have to admit that my first impression of SarahFerret [SF] was
astonishment and a soft anger. All that bemoaning the dead ferret
crossing the rainbow bridge to ? where ever, where in due time the
ferretress, upon her demise, would Nirvana with her beloved ferret(s)
somewhere out there (Valhalla, maybe?). Now this is indeed therapeutic.
Doesn't make much sense, but it is indeed therapeutic for some.

Just how stupid could one be? I'll tell you here and now -[SF's]
mournings for D/D ferrets- is intensely therapeutic for the bereaved
ferretress/ferreter. Why didn't someone tell me what was going on
before this, huh? I had to figure it out all by myself. [SF] is a
ferret therapist! Some help you guys/girls are!

Edward Lipinski at Ferrets North West, Mercer Island, Washington state.
Plato wrote: Those to Whom We Say Farewell, are welcomed by others.*

* Lipinski's note: Plato's real name, Aristocles named as the son of
Ariston, is no smarter than you in suggesting a conscious afterlife,
once room temperature is reached.